Rigor Vitae: Life Unyielding

Monday, November 27, 2006

SCALING DOWN

These scale models provide some nice perspective.

THE INNER SOLAR SYSTEM

THE INNER AND OUTER SOLAR SYSTEM

THE SUN AND ITS PLANETS

THE SUN & THREE CLOSE, BRIGHT STARS
Sirius (Canis Major) 8.6 light years away; Pollux (Gemini) 33.7 light years away; Arcturus (Boötes)36.7 light years away

...PLUS FOUR MORE MAJOR STARS
Rigel (Orion) 800 light years away; Aldebaran (Taurus) 65 light years away; Betelgeuse (Orion) 430 light years away; Antares (Scorpius) 600 light years away
_____________________
Original source of these images unknown; thanks to Louie Porras.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very useful. Are those actual models or paintings?

3:06 AM  
Blogger D.R. Cootey said...

Fantastic! I've seen scales before, but none as successful as these. I think breaking them down into groups really helps communicate how vastly big the rest of the universe is compared to our planet.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Hungry Hyaena said...

Ooops...looks like we received the same forwarded email, Carel. Well, I suppose it can't hurt to have a number of blogs posting it. I hope all is well.

10:59 PM  
Blogger kimber said...

Those are fantastic! It's a great way to make yourself feel small and insignificant! :)

10:48 PM  
Blogger pilgrimchick said...

Wow--that was a really interesting demonstration. I always appreciate things that give us perspective in one way or another--makes one's concerns and worries seem to be so negligible.

6:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This just makes me feel small, indeed. And I thought the mountains of Colorado were big when I first saw them.

4:43 AM  
Blogger Tabor said...

I agree. I now feel pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

6:17 AM  
Blogger Carel Brest van Kempen said...

As Hungry Hyaena noted, he and I received these images in an email. I don't have any inside information on how they were created, but I assume they were created from scratch on Photoshop.

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home